Monday, April 25, 2011

Employment

I know it has been very long since I last wrote. I didn't bother to go back and see when the last post was. I'm sure I'd just be annoyed at myself. The reason for the hiatus, I suppose, is a combination of writer's block, thinker's block and just plain lack of internal motivation.
For those of you who are not aware, the last eight months have been a particularly trying time for me as far as employment goes. Up until then I had been the primary caretaker for my amazing daughter Anne. (If you doubt the 'amazing' you clearly haven't met her) As of September last year my sister-in-law Tracy took over those duties so I could go back to work. But there is the rub. When I graduated from seminary in 2008 we were just entering the worst job market in my lifetime and things have not really improved since. For months I scoured job boards looking for opportunities I could pursue only to be continually disappointed at the utter lack of anything that resembled a job I would actually want that might, even in some small way, be considered a 'career'. At various times I did find jobs I was very interested in.
First I found a job posting for doing drafting for Habitat for Humanity. I was blown away at how awesome that seemed and how perfect for me. I immediately applied and tried to contact their HR by phone. I never heard anything from anyone and was never able to get through to anyone.
Then, I considered an option I had, up to this point, flatly ignored. I looked into becoming a chaplain in the military, the Navy, to be precise. I pursued that for months, getting more and more excited about the opportunity to counsel young men and women and serve God in some unique ways. Much to my surprise it was one of the requirements that I was sure I met that turned out to be my undoing. It turned out that the US military requires that their chaplains have an advanced degree of no less than 72 units. My MA is 66 units. Six units short. And, no, I could not go back and take two classes. Apparently that is not acceptable. So, we move on.
At the moment I am in an even stranger place though. In the middle of March I was at a birthday party for a two year old boy at my church who goes to Sunday school with my aforementioned amazing daughter, Anne. That boy's grandfather is a wonderful man who I have known almost as long as I have been at that church and we got to talking about my job search. I must clarify, by 'we' I mean he and I and my wife and sister-in-law. Its far too complex to go into here but suffice it to say, that combination of people in that conversation steered it in a direction that it would have been unlikely to go had the situation been different. About a week later I had a job. A job I did not particularly want. A job I still do not particularly want.
Now, flash back a week before that conversation. I was looking around on job boards again and I came across a posting for a job that I had only even believed existed in my wildest dreams. As far as I have been able to gather from the posting it would be a combination of almost all my talents, passions, education and experiences. Naturally I applied but with little hope of actually getting the job as I am certain there are scores of people who are just as passionately interested as I am. Since applying there has been a single ray of hope that I might, at least, get past the first stage and get an interview. But it has been many weeks as I wait for news.
Now, this blog was never actually intended to be for posts like this. I intended to pontificate about interesting topics related to manhood, husbandhood, fatherhood, Christianity, modern culture and films. But, right now, this is what I've got. I suppose, in a way, this does relate to all those topics (except probably film) but I don't have the emotional energy to pontificate. So, I guess this will just be what it is.

1 comment:

  1. Well, now that I am reading this months late and know the final result on your last job possibility mentioned, I am left wanting you to fill in the end of the story and where you are now! Of course I know some of it, but still ... I'm just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete